The "Shame" of the Academy Awards

Remember...Clothes don't make the person. 


I was disappointed to see and hear the reaction that Jenny Beavan received from some audience members when she won the Costume Design award for "Mad Max: Fury Road."  Some huge celebrities appeared to choose not to clap for her based upon the fact that she was not dressed up.  There were quite a few looks of disapproval.  It was a quick and somber reminder that celebrities, despite the incredible wealth, luxurious lives and opportunities --- have flaws like all of us and can be catty, narrow, and bully others. 
 
Aghast: Jenny's walk to the Oscars' stage solicited disapproving glances and refusals from Hollywood's finest to clap 





While image is important and, yes, you never get a chance to make a second impression --- it's more important to remember that we are all created as unique gems with valuable gifts for the betterment of mankind.  We are all individuals who have different views on how to dress.  It is critical to be kind and gracious --- even when you feel that a person is not giving the proper respect to an event through the way that they have dressed.  It's not for us to ever judge, usually we do not know the entire situation at hand.  And, the Academy Awards, unlike some other award venues, is a place to showcase one's style personality.  Strict rules of dress decorum, for example those of the Caan Film Festival where women are required to wear heels, are thrown out the window. 

Beavan wore a biker outfit, a leather jacket with a studded skull on the back and a stripped scarf, which she felt was paying homage to Mad Max.  When asked about why she chose that look she said to the Washington Post,  "I just like feeling comfortable, and I’m sorry. As far as I’m concerned, I’m really dressed up."

In an interview with Hollywood Reporter, Beavan explained that she did not care whether people clapped for her nor liked her outfit.  Furthermore, she hoped that the incident will empower women to have the confidence to wear what they choose and feel good about themselves.  She said that she also undersood that some of the attendees may have been tired of clapping as they had clapped so much throughout the entire three plus hour event.  Well, in a sea of gowns, I thought her outfit looked brilliant which also is reflective of her spirit and abilities. 

An excerpt of Jenny Beavan's interview with The Hollywood Reporter

"Honestly, I didn’t clap the whole time [during the ceremony] — your hands get tired. We had done a huge amount of clapping by that time. They didn't have to! I don’t mind in the least if they didn't clap. I felt really good, I felt the warmth, I was so proud of doing the film for George and it didn’t matter what anyone else thought, really....The reaction has been slightly frightening, but thank God I don’t do social media. My Oscar is out on the table and we are patting it as we pass by, but I am just having a little moment. By the time I get back to London, hopefully everything will be settled down and I’ll get back to normal. 

I really do think things will all calm down, but the only thing I would like is for my outfit to have a positive effect on what women feel about themselves. You don’t actually have to look like a supermodel to be successful. If that could be a takeaway, I think that would be a good thing. It is really good to have a positive feeling about yourself, because then you can do anything. People don’t have to clap for you; they don’t have to like the work," said Beavan




Cate Blancett and Jenny Beaven, 2016 Academy Awards

No comments